How much money is in your pocket right now? No matter how much money you have, you probably feel like it’s not much. Because when you’re in school, what can you really do about money? In a lot of ways, you feel powerless with how much you or your family earn and how it’s spent. But what if you have more power than you realize? You have the power to help your family, change your habits, and even impact others in a big way. The truth is money matters. Right here. Right now. And when you choose to change the way you think about it, when you choose to own your attitudes and your decisions with the cash you do have, God can do some big things in you and even bigger things through you.
“When evening came, the owner of the vineyard said to his foreman, ‘Call the workers and pay them their wages, beginning with the last ones hired and going on to the first.’ The workers who were hired about five in the afternoon came and each received a denarius. So when those came who were hired first, they expected to receive more. But each one of them also received a denarius. When they received it, they began to grumble against the landowner. ‘These who were hired last worked only one hour,’ they said, ‘and you have made them equal to us who have borne the burden of the work and the heat of the day”
Matthew 20:8-12 NIV.
Small Group Questions
1. Talk about a time when you couldn’t buy something or go somewhere because you didn’t have the money (or your parents wouldn’t give it to you).
2. In what ways have you seen the subject of money cause stress in peoples’ families?
3. What do you think your parents should be responsible for giving you?
4. Why do we feel unsatisfied with what we have when we see people who have more?
5. Throughout the Bible, we see that God has A LOT to say about money. Why do you think it’s a subject that God talks about a lot?
6. Why is it a big deal when you tell your parents “thank you” for the things they provide?
7. What are two things you own that you’re grateful for right now?
The question of the week
How is God using money in your story to shape your attitude?
Make the time to thank the Lord and your parents for what they do provide.