For most of us, the idea of memorizing the Bible feels more like a chore or obligation than anything else. But the Bible actually has a lot of important, powerful things to say to help us handle life a little better. As we look back at Psalm 119 this week, we’ll see that when we capture God’s Word not only in our minds but in our hearts as well, we’ll be stronger because of it. Scripture can literally stop you from sinning if you believe His word is the truth.
I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you (Psalm 119:11 NIV).
Small Group Questions
1. What’s one ridiculous thing that you’ve memorized?
2. What are some things that keep people from memorizing Bible verses?
3. How might memorizing Scripture actually help you when you need it?
4. We said that memorizing Scripture can literally stop you from sinning. Do you agree with that statement? Why or why not?
5. How can having Scripture memorized before being in a difficult situation help you more than just trying to figure it out on your own in the moment?
6. Who is somebody you can ask to give you a verse that has helped their lives?
7. If you decided to memorize a verse or two, how would you go about doing that this week?
Question of the week
Do I believe His word is the truth?
Memorize this verse—1 Peter 5:7. “Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.”